The Best AI Writing Assistant of 2023 (Top 19 Compared)
11 min read
Which is the best AI writing assistant available for marketing and customer success teams in 2023?
There’s no simple answer to this question. Plenty of AI copywriting tools are in the market (and by the time I finish writing this article, there will probably be more) and each of them could be a good choice depending on your needs or budget.
This article provides an overview of 19 popular AI content-writing tools that will help you create different content types, from in-app messages to long-form blog posts.
Let’s dive in!
- Must-have features to look for in AI writing assistants include relevant templates, browsing capability, grammar and spell check, and support for the right languages.
- Userpilot is a product adoption platform that offers an AI-powered writing assistant to generate SaaS microcopy.
- Jasper AI offers a wide selection of templates and tools for various writing tasks.
- Copy.ai enables content creators to generate compelling and persuasive marketing copy.
- Known for its budget-friendly pricing, Rytr enables the creation of high-quality content such as blog posts, emails, and social media captions.
- Article Forge is ideal for content teams seeking to quickly generate SEO content at scale.
- ChatGPT has gained popularity for its versatility in overcoming writer’s block and as a brainstorming tool.
- Lavender.ai helps users craft effective and persuasive sales emails.
- Thanks to an integrated AI writing assistant, Flick streamlines the process of creating engaging and shareable social media content.
- Wordplay provides a range of AI writing tools for creating blog posts.
- Surfer utilizes AI for SEO optimization and enables the generation of SEO-optimized blog posts.
- Sudowrite offers fiction writers powerful tools to generate creative and engaging stories.
- Grammarly helps writers enhance their writing by identifying grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors.
- Wordtune assists writers in rephrasing and enhancing written content to improve readability, conciseness, and overall impact.
- WordHero assists teams in crafting compelling and persuasive descriptions for various products.
- Writesonic helps marketers and advertisers generate effective and engaging ad copy for different platforms, including social media and search ads.
- Anyword provides marketers with the ability to create high-converting landing page content.
- With its mobile-friendly interface and AI capabilities, ParagraphAI allows users to generate and edit written content seamlessly on their smartphones and tablets.
- Hypotenuse AI utilizes advanced natural language processing algorithms to rephrase and rewrite sentences while preserving the original meaning.
- As a recommended tool for generating video scripts, Scrip AI empowers content creators to produce engaging and impactful video content.
- Want to see how Userpilot’s AI writing assistant works in practice? Book the demo!
Must-have features to look for in AI writing assistants
The features you need to look out for will depend on your goals and what kind of content you want to generate. Let’s look at a few that you might consider:
- Intuitive UI
- Browser extensions for easy integration into your workflow
- Browsing capability – important for SEO optimization
- History – to easily go back to previously generated content or reuse successful prompts
- Grammar and spelling correction – an absolute must
19 best AI writing tools that generate high-quality content
Let’s check out a few AI writing software tools with different use cases.
1. Userpilot – recommended for generating AI-powered in-app copy
Userpilot is a product adoption platform.
It allows you to trigger in-app messages to onboard your users and help them discover the key features. Product teams can also use it to collect user feedback via in-app surveys and offer them 24/7 self-service support with the resource center functionality.
- AI-powered writing assistant to generate your onboarding content
- Create content from scratch with prompts, or extend, summarize, and refine the existing content
- Grammar and spelling checker
- Content localization
The AI writing assistant is available in each of the 3 pricing plans. The lowest one, Traction, starts from $249/month. The localization feature is available in the Growth and Enterprise plans, which have custom pricing.
2. Jasper AI – best overall AI writing app
Jasper AI, formerly Jarvis, is one of the oldest tools around. It’s powered by several natural language processing (NLP) models and offers a comprehensive suite of tools to assist with various writing tasks.
- Wide selection of templates
- Rephrase and rewrite content
- Custom tone of voice and knowledge (you can train it with your own content and data)
- Plagiarism checker
- Integration with SurferSEO for search engine optimization
- 30+ languages offered
There are 3 pricing plans:
- Creator – from $39/month
- Teams – from $99/month
- Business – custom pricing
3. Copy.ai – best AI copywriting software
Copy.ai is a state-of-the-art AI-powered writing assistant. It enables content creators to generate compelling and persuasive marketing copy.
- 90+ copywriting templates (long-form blog posts, social media bio, etc)
- Blog Wizard tool
- Chat functionality
- 29+ languages
There are 3 Copy.ai pricing plans:
- Free – up 2,000 words a month
- Pro – unlimited words for $36/month
- Enterprise – custom pricing
4. Rytr – best budget-friendly AI writing assistant
Rytr is an AI-writing assistant with a range of features that allow you to create high-quality content. This includes blog posts, emails, social media captions, and a fair bit more.
- 40+ writing use cases
- 20+ tones of voice
- Image generator
- Plagiarism checker
- Supports 30+ languages
Rytr is known for its budget-friendly pricing. There are 3 pricing plans:
- Free – up to 10k characters/month
- Saver – up to 100k characters/month, from $9/month
- Unlimited – from $29/month
5. Article Forge – best for generating bulk AI articles
Article Forge is a perfect solution for content teams that quickly want to generate SEO content at scale. This could be extremely useful when you want to build topical authority.
- Long-form articles – 1,500+ words
- Bulk article generator
- Automatic SEO optimization
- Plagiarism detector powered by Copyscape
- Automatic publishing to blogs
Article Forge has 2 pricing plans:
- Regular – from $13 for 25k words a month, $27 for 250k words, or $57 for 500k words per month
- Business – custom pricing
6. ChatGPT – recommended for overcoming writer’s block
ChatGPT is a chat-based AI assistant that has taken the world by storm. With deliberate and careful prompting, you can use it to create any kind of written content and avoid typical writing mistakes.
Even if you don’t want to rely on it to create the actual content, it’s a brilliant brainstorming tool.
- Chat-based interface
- Plug-ins and extensions to boost its capacity
- Browsing feature for up-to-date information and higher accuracy
There are 2 plans, including a free one.
- The free plan uses the ChatGPT 3.5 model and doesn’t allow browsing.
- The premium plan (ChatGPT Plus for $20 per month) gives you access to the more powerful ChatGPT4 which can browse the net.
7. Lavender – best AI writing software for sales emails
- Email response prediction and emotional response analysis
- Tone check
- Personalization coach
- Reply recommendations
- Mobile optimization
Lavender has 3 pricing plans:
- Basic – free – no AI writing assistant
- Individual – from $29/month
- Teams – from $49/month/user
8. Flick – best for creating AI-generated content for social media posts
Flick is a social media marketing platform with an integrated AI writing assistant. It helps marketers streamline their social media strategy by brainstorming, generating, and repurposing engaging and shareable social media content at scale with ease.
- Caption writing
- Hashtag tools
There are 3 Flick plans:
- Solo – from £11/month
- Pro – from £24/month
- Agency – from £55/month
9. Wordplay – recommended for long-form content creation
Wordplay is an AI writing tool for creating blog posts. It’s an ideal solution for busy content marketing teams that don’t want to compromise on quality.
- Outline and Title modes – generates an article based on your outline or specific title
- Bulk content generation in Topic mode or CSV mode
- 20+ languages
- SEO optimization
Unlike most of the other products, Wordplay asks for a one-off payment for lifetime access instead of monthly subscriptions. There are 4 pricing plans:
- Starter – $99 for 7.5k words/month
- Silver – $399 for 35k words/month
- Gold – $999 for 100k words/month
- Platinum – $2,800 for 300k words/month
10. Surfer – best for generating SEO-optimized content
SurferSEO has been using AI for SEO optimization for a while. Earlier this year, the product got even better with the introduction of SurferAI. This tool allows you to generate an SEO-optimized blog post from a keyword in just a few clicks.
- Content editor
- Content audit
- AI outline generator and writing assistant
- Powered by ChatGPT4
Each AI-generated article costs $29. The catch is that you need to have one of the Surfer plans active:
- Lite – from $19/month
- Essential – from $69/month
- Advanced – from $149/month
- Max – from $249/month
- Enterprise – custom price
11. Sudowrite – best fiction AI writer
Sudowrite is an AI writing tool dedicated to creative writing. Character development? Plot generation? Scene descriptions? Sudowrite can help you with all of this.
- Built-in thesaurus
- Brainstorming tools
- AI-generated beta feedback
- Describe and rewrite features
- Poem writer
- 30+ languages
There are 3 Sudowrite plans available:
- Hobby and Student – from $10/month for 30k words
- Professional – from $25/month for 90k words
- Max – from $100/month for 300k words
12. Grammarly – recommended AI grammar checker
Grammarly is a well-known AI proofreading tool. It helps you ensure that your content is free from spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. It also helps you deal with unnecessary wordiness and polish your content with style suggestions.
Moreover, its generative AI functionality can also help you create new content.
- Advanced grammar and spelling checks
- Sentence structure and style suggestions
- Plagiarism detection and citation assistance
- Generative AI assistant with Ideate, Compose, Reply, Rewrite, and Personalize features
- Chrome extension for easy integration with other tools
Grammarly offers 3 pricing plans:
- Premium – from $12/month
- Business – from $15/member/month
13. Wordtune – best AI tool for refining existing content
Wordtune has built its reputation as an excellent paraphrasing tool. It allows you to quickly refine your content in the desired style, sentence by sentence, or paragraph by paragraph.
Currently, it also offers a range of other tools, called Spices, that allow you to create new content in a controlled way.
- Paraphrasing tools (rewrite, expand, shorten)
- Different styles (formal, casual)
- Generative AI features called Spices (Explain, Emphasize, Expand on, Give an example, Define, or Give an analogy)
- Spelling and grammar check
There are 3 Wordtune plans:
- Free – limited to 10 rewrites a day
- Premium – from $9.99/month
- Premium for Teams – custom pricing
14. WordHero – recommended AI platform for writing product descriptions
Wordhero is an AI writing tool that enables you to create different kinds of content. In particular, it shines when it comes to writing product descriptions.
- Generator mode with over 70 writing tools
- Editor mode for long-form content
- Keyword assistant for SEO optimization
- Chat feature
- 108 languages
Currently, there is only one pricing plan available: Pro. It starts at $49/month if paid annually.
15. Writesonic – recommended for optimizing ad copies
Writesonic is one of the more affordable AI writers and a pretty potent one at that. It can write any kind of content imaginable but users find it particularly useful for writing ad copy.
- Chatsonic – chatGPT4-powered chat
- Botsonic – a chatbot you can train with your own content
- Brand voice
- 100+ AI templates (including various ads)
- AI article writer
Writesonic offers 3 pricing plans:
- Free trial – for 10,000 words
- Pro – from $12.67/month for 33,334 Superior words or 100,000 Premium words
- Enterprise – custom pricing
The pricing is a bit confusing because not all words are created equal. 1 Superior word (chatGPT4) is worth 3 premium words. And if you want Writesonic to browse the internet to enhance output, it counts x 2.
16. Anyword – best AI writing tool for landing pages
If you’re a marketer looking for an AI writing assistant that will help you generate SEO-optimized landing pages that convert, Anyword might be your best buddy. All you have to do is write a product description and let the AI do the rest.
- 100+ templates
- Blog wizard
- Predictive performance analytics
- Brand voice
- 30+ languages
Anyword offers 3 pricing plans:
- Starter – from $39/month
- Data-Driven Teams – from $49/month
- Business – custom pricing
17. ParagraphAI – best AI writing assistant on mobile devices
Paragraph AI is a very powerful AI writing tool. It’s been optimized for mobile communication, so it’s great for writing paragraphs, emails, lists, and short messages.
- Grammar and tone corrections
- AI writing assistant
- Tone adjustment (Informal vs. Formal, Friendly vs Assertive, Pessimistic vs. Optimistic)
ParagraphAI offers very affordable subscription options:
- Student – from $9.99 for 1 million words
- Professional- from $12.49 for 1 million words
- Team – custom price
18. Hypotenuse AI – best AI paraphrasing tool
Just like the other AI copywriting tools, Hypotenuse AI can help you generate content for various purposes. The features that really stand out though are its paraphrasing and summarizing tools.
- Access to news and web data – with sources
- Brand voice training
- 30+ templates
- Plagiarism checker
- Content detective for factual research
- 25+ languages
There are 3 Hypotenuse plans:
- Starter – from $24/month
- Growth – from $49/month
- Enterprise – custom
19. Scrip AI – recommended tool for generating video scripts
Script AI is one of the more versatile AI writers. It supports multiple use cases, including video script writing. Thanks to its templates you can quickly generate scripts for your Instagram reels, TikTok videos, or YouTube shorts.
- Dozens of templates
- Simple UI
Scrip AI is FREE to use as long as you’re happy to disable your ad blocks.
How to select the right AI writing software?
Many of the AI writing tools we’ve discussed so far offer similar features. If so, how do you choose one? Here’s how I do it.
First, I list my use cases and look for tools that support them. For example, when looking for a paraphrasing tool, I would consider Wordtune and Hypotenuse AI.
Next, I look at the cost and eliminate those that I can’t afford.
After that, it’s time to do some tests. I compare how the different tools cope with the tasks I need them to perform. While many of them use the same language models, the quality of the content varies dramatically.
Finally, I look at the cost again and weigh it against the quality. Cheaper products may work out more expensive if you have to spend a lot of time editing the content manually.
The right AI writing assistant will save you a lot of time and energy. There’s no such thing as the best AI writing assistant though, so look for a tool that’s best for your job. Consider the quality of the output and only then look at the cost.
If you want to see how Userpilot can help you generate your in-app messages, book the demo!
The coolest way to learn about Product Growth, Management & Trends. Delivered fresh to your inbox, weekly.