Onboarding new customers is the process new users go through to set up and begin using your product. It covers the entire funnel, from initial sign-up to product activation and adoption.
When onboarding new customers you aim to deliver value to your customer as early as possible — in their first use, if possible.
Why is Onboarding New Customers important?
Onboarding new customers is crucial because it establishes the tone for their continued engagement with your product.
With a proper onboarding in place, you will be able to:
- Keep new customers engaged: they’ll start using your product successfully if you help them clearly grasp and experience the value they’ll receive from it, but more importantly, you’ll provide them a reason to log back in and use your product repeatedly.
- Improve trial retention rate: when customers are onboarded, they can experience the value of your product if you provide a free or subsidized product trial. Their likelihood of converting into a paying customer will increase if you can show them real value during the onboarding process, at the beginning of their trial.
A successful customer onboarding process positions your clients to benefit from utilizing your product over the duration of their usage.
Do you need tools for Onboarding New Customers?
Wondering why you even need an onboarding new customers tool? There are several reasons why you may need one:
It’s not enough to get people to try your product. Once they sign up you need to make sure they have a good experience and see the value in your product.
Here are the main reasons onboarding software could be beneficial:
- You can personalize the new customer onboarding process using user segmentation is made possible by many tools. If new consumers haven’t even used your core features, it wouldn’t make sense to flood them with information about additional functionality. The right message may be delivered to the right users at the right time with the use of user segmentation.
- Trigger in-app experiences contextually and don’t overwhelm users during onboarding while prompting them to engage with the right features.
- Help users complete their jobs to be done with interactive guides and in-app help. This will help you reduce time to value and increase retention.
There’s more, but I think you get the point. It shouldn’t be a question of do you need tools, but which tool to get. As there are multiple ones out there, this article will help you pick the right one for you.
What are the best tools for Onboarding New Customers?
What is the best customer experience management tool for my SaaS? You might think, right?
Here are the five best tools that you should consider:
- Userpilot – for creating microsurveys and advanced segmentation.
- Appcues – for building personalized onboarding experiences for mobile users.
- UserGuiding – for tracking in-app interactions and collecting customer data on budget.
- Pendo – for detailed product and user analytics.
- Chameleon – for creating contextual in-product surveys.
Let’s dive deeper into how each stacks up for different company sizes, budgets, and jobs to be done!
What are the must have features of Onboarding New Customers tools?
Before deciding which customer experience management tool works best, you should understand what features any solid tool must provide.
Here’s what to look for before making a buying decision:
- Make sure the tool you choose supports a variety of UI patterns so you can create nice interactive walkthroughs and onboarding flows for your customers. And all of these without writing a single line of code.
- You should also be able to track in-app interactions such as clicks, and hovers to see what customers are doing in the product and act accordingly.
- Monitor their progress and detect friction points that block the customer journey.
- Product analytics with filtering options and custom attributes is another feature that will be beneficial for you.
- Not to mention different types of surveys such as NPS, CSAT, CES to collect contextual feedback and make an analysis to optimize the customer experience.