Onboarding automation is the use of automation to streamline onboarding-related workflows to guide new customers or new employees through every step with little or no manual assistance.
Why is Onboarding Automation important?
Onboarding automation has a lot of benefits and can help you nail your onboarding program and delight new users or employees right from the beginning.
Here is what onboarding automation can offer:
- Create personalized in-app experiences tailored to specific use cases and reduce the time to value.
- Provide consistent and well-structured in-app onboarding flows to drive new users to the activation point.
- Minimize time-consuming manual onboarding tasks and boost productivity.
- Build an in-app help center and reduce the workload of the customer support team.
Do you need tools for Onboarding Automation?
Wondering why you even need an onboarding automation tool? There are several reasons why you may need one:
Onboarding is a key step that has a great impact on whether customers will stick with you or they will look for alternatives
But what if your support team is busy with more complex tasks and doesn’t have time for proper onboarding and you’re tight on budget to hire onboarding specialists? Well, no worries. There are a lot of affordable tools to assist you with your efforts and help you create seamless onboarding experiences at scale.
Here’s how onboarding automation tools help:
- Create welcome screens to greet new customers and segment them based on their use cases.
- Build hyper-personalized interactive walkthroughs with tons of UI patterns – all of these without any coding.
- Trigger flows based on user behavior, and avoid intrusion.
- Build an in-app help center to store all documentation, tutorials, and videos in one place and offer on-demand support.
The list of benefits can go and on. As you can see, onboarding automation tools can offer numerous benefits and reduce organizational costs. Next, we will be listing the best onboarding automation tools.
What are the best tools for Onboarding Automation?
Looking to automate your onboarding but unsure which tool to trust? Here are the best tools that you can try and see if it’s the right fit for you:
- Userpilot: best onboarding automation tool with rich UI patterns, advanced segmentation, and customization functionalities.
- Appcues: best onboarding automation tool for mobile user onboarding.
- Whatfix: best onboarding automation tool for employee onboarding.
- Userguiding: best onboarding automation tool for user onboarding on a tight budget.
- Pendo: best onboarding automation tool for creating in-app resource centers.
Let’s dive deeper into how each stacks up for different company sizes, budgets, and jobs to be done!
What are the must have features of Onboarding Automation tools?
There are many onboarding automation tools available, so you may be confused about which one to choose.
Though the right tool will depend on your business goals and needs, here are the must-have features for any onboarding automation tool.
- Make sure the tool you choose isn’t limited to just product tours. Pick a tool that provides various UI patterns (modals, slideouts, banners, checklists, hotspots) to create beautiful welcome screens, and interactive walkthroughs to guide new customers and delight them from the very beginning.
- Look into getting decent segmentation capabilities based on in-app behavior and in-app experience engagement so you can trigger onboarding flows properly.
- An in-app help center is another feature that you should be looking for in an onboarding automation tool. With this, you can collect all your documentation files, tutorials, and videos in one place and offer on-demand support.
- Integration with 3rd party apps and tools so you can gain more insights and collect them in one place.
There you have it. These are the basic features that any solid onboarding automation tool should cover. Do your own research before buying a tool and make sure it’s aligned with your business goals.